Uncategorized4 Comments

default thumbnail

Google Calendar is a great tool for keeping families organized and synching schedules with your partner, but did you know it is also a valuable tool for homeschoolers as well? Many colearning families use Google Calendar for far more than planning events. Here are some of the most helpful ways homeschoolers can use Google Calendar.
* Building lesson plans—When searching for videos, instructions, craft ideas, or more, save the links to your Google Calendar event so you can find everything you need for that lesson. You can do this for a unit or a subject. For example, if you want to track your Math Lessons, you can create a recurring event for every weekday and track the links to your lessons, videos, and practice games in the detail section. Now, you will be reminded every day and all of your links are ready for you!

* Organizing your day— Plan for time with each child by making it an event on your calendar. When you add an event to your day, make a note if your child can accomplish that task independently or if they need your assistance. This will help you see what events each child can be working on while you are assisting another child. You can also block off time to stay home or times to get out of the house.
* Color coding schedules by child—Did you know that you can create a different calendar for each child and see all of those calendars at once on your screen? Assign a different color to each child to make it simple to see your day at a quick glance.
* Email yourself your Daily Schedule—Google makes it easy to get an emailed copy of your daily schedule which you can use to print out and hand to your child. Simply go to your settings (the gear icon) and select your calendar from the left hand side. Under General notifications, find Daily agenda and select E-mail from the drop down menu. Now they have an easy task list of everything they need to accomplish today!

* Create a to do list—Add tasks to your list (and to your calendar). Google’s task function is available directly from your Google calendar and allows you to make a list, add subtasks, add due dates (not required) and then allows you to check off your to dos!

For more tips on how to best use Google Calendar, including how to connect it to your phone, check out their FAQ page. No matter what your homeschooling day may look like, Google Calendar is versatile enough to be used to help you plan, help you stay on track, and help you get to events on time. Let us know how YOU use Google Calendar in the comments below.

4 Comments on this article

• Deb April 6, 2019

Love Google Calendar. These are some great tips! I have a master School calendar, with a separate account for each child – they’re a little older and have limited access to their Google (ie. not email just yet!). This allows me to invite them as attendees to any activities that they are involved in. That way, they can each have a view not cluttered by all the “master calendar” stuff and stuff that doesn’t involve them. I believe Google Keep integrates with the calendar, and I’ve thought about experimenting with resources and notes in that format. However, I’ve never gotten around to testing out that idea.

• Krista April 15, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, Deb! We will have to try using Google Keep with our calendar.

• Sissy May 5, 2019

Great ideas for using Google Calendar. I have started using Google Classroom and Google Keep which also syncs in Google Calendar. My two middle school age children enjoy knowing the daily expectations and it also helps us use less paper. They can turn in assignments that I put in Google Classroom and save it in their Google Drive.

• Cresent Moon Cafe August 12, 2019

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial
    information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

Add a comment